The Interdisciplinary Prostate Ontology Project (IPOP) aims to apply and extend best practises from biomedical informatics to clinical work on prostate cancer. We combine academic research with practical work developing standards and software. We are currently collaborating with the Image Guided Prostate Cancer Management project to develop a structured reporting tool for radiology and pathology of prostate cancer.
Biomedical ontologies are standardized system of terminology for biomedicine. Not only do they help human practitioners communicate clearly and effectively, but they are also designed to help machines search through vast databases and reason over complex relationships. IPOP uses Open Biological and Biomedical Ontologies, which are developed using a shared Basic Formal Ontology. We also collaborate with the Ontology for Biomedical Investigation and the Radiological Society of North America's Radiology Lexicon project.
Today radiologists and most medical practitioners either dictate or type plain-text reports about their examinations and procedures. These reports are difficult to search and analyze because each practitioner has her own style and her own preferred phrases. It is all to easy to forget to mention something important. With structured reporting practitioners enter their reports using a rich computer interface, which ensures a complete report, and the data is stored in a format that can easily be searched and analyzed.
We are currently developing a prototype of a next-generation structured reporting tool for prostate cancer. You can try it online.
- Open Biological and Biomedical Ontologies (OBO)
- Basic Formal Ontology (BFO)
- Ontology for Biomedical Investigations (OBI)
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) Radiology Reporting Initiative
- Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR) Team Grant in Image-Guided Prostate Cancer Management (IGPC)
- Joseph L. Rotman Institute of Philosophy
- Cesare Romagnoli and James A. Overton. "Structured Reporting of Prostate Cancer." Image Guided Prostate Cancer Management Project Grant, January 2012.
- Gillian Barker, Cesare Romagnoli, and James A. Overton. "The Interdisciplinary Prostate Ontology Project -- Stage Two." Joseph L. Rotman Institute of Science and Values Seed Grant, July 2009.
- Cesare Romagnoli and James A. Overton. "The Interdisciplinary Prostate Ontology Project." London Health Sciences Centre Department of Medical Imaging Project Grant, September 2008.
- James A. Overton and Cesare Romagnoli. "Radiology, Philosophy, and Ontology." In Rethy K. Chhem, Heiner Fangerau, Irmgard Müller, and Shih-chang Wang, editors, Medical Imaging and Philosophy. Franz Steiner Verlag, Stuggart, 2012.
- James A. Overton, Cesare Romagnoli, and Rethy K. Chhem. "Open Biomedical Ontologies Applied to Prostate Cancer." Applied Ontology. 6(1): 35-51, 2011.
- Cesare Romagnoli, James A. Overton, and Rethy K. Chhem. "Philosophy of radiology: The ontological challenge." In Teresa Van Deven, Kathryn M. Hibbert, and Rethy K. Chhem, editors, The Practice of Radiology Education. Springer, New York, 2010.
- Robert Arp, Cesare Romagnoli, Rethy K. Chhem, and James A. Overton. "Radiological and Biomedical Knowledge Integration: The Ontological Way." In Rethy K. Chhem, Kathryn M. Hibbert, and Teresa Van Deven, editors, Radiology Education: The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. Springer, New York, 2009.
- "A Tool for Effective Structured Reporting of Prostate Ultrasound." Radiological Society of North America. Chicago, Illinois. December 1, 2011.
- "Philosophy, Ontology, and Scientific Explanation." Doctoral and Post-Doctoral Colloquium, International Conference on Biomedical Ontology. Buffalo, New York. July 27, 2011.
- "Informatics, Philosophy, and Ontology." The Society for the Philosophy of Science in Practice. Exeter, UK. June 24, 2011.
- "Philosophy of Radiology: The Ontological Challenge." 1st International Conference on Medical Imaging and Philosophy. Ulm, Germany. May 22, 2010.
- "Rethinking Medical Imaging Artifacts." History and Philosophy of Science and Technology (HAPSAT) Graduate Conference. The University of Toronto. April 25, 2010.
- "Structured Reporting and Ontologies." Digital Imaging Group of London, 6th Project Review Meeting. London, Ontario. September 10, 2009.
- "Open Biomedical Ontologies Applied to Prostate Cancer." International Conference on Biomedical Ontology. The State University of New York at Buffalo. July 24, 2009.
- "Domain Ontologies and Philosophy of Science." Canadian Society for the History and Philosophy of Science. Carleton University. May 28, 2009.
- "Biomedical Ontologies and Scientific Explanation." Philosophy Graduate Student Association Colloquium Series. The University of Western Ontario. January 28, 2009.
- "The Interdisciplinary Prostate Ontology Project." Italian Association of Telemedicine and Medical Informatics. Ottawa, Ontario. October 6, 2008.
- "Applications of Ontologies to Radiology." Digital Imaging Group, London Health Sciences Centre. The University of Western Ontario. July 23, 2008.